Commuter Benefits

The Commuter Benefits Flexible Savings Account helps you save on eligible expenses related to your commute to work. You can use your contributions to pay for things such as:

  • Parking
  • Van pooling
  • Mass-transit tickets

You can enroll in the Commuter Benefits program or make changes to your contributions anytime during the year. For 2018, the IRS set the maximum contribution to $260 per month for commuting and $260 per month for eligible parking expenses. There’s also an after-tax option to help you manage your expenses above the limit. You can also purchase transit passes and contribute funds for van pools for a family member. Note: This does not apply to WageWorks Commuter Parking accounts.

Sign up for the program

Visit and go to the Log In/Register link in the upper right hand corner and choose the Employee Registration option.  When asked for your ID Code in the self-identification process, please use the last four digits of your Social Security Number.  Once you’ve completed your WageWorks profile, follow these steps to complete your enrollment:

  1. From the Welcome page, click on the Commuter icon.
  2. Click on the ‘Place Commuter Order’ link.
  3. Step through the process to place your order.
  4. An order confirmation email will be sent after the order is placed.

Important: You must make your Transit/Parking FSA (Commuter Benefits) election by the 10th of the month prior to when you want to use the benefit. For example, elections made by January 10 will take effect in February.

Purchasing transit passes or contributing to van pool funds for others:

  • If you’re already enrolled in the Commuter Benefits program and currently deduct less than the monthly pre-tax maximum of $260, you can save more money by increasing your pre-tax contributions up to the $260 maximum and ordering an additional monthly transit pass for a family member. The more pre-tax money you contribute to a transit benefit program, the more you save on taxes.

    To buy a pass or product for another person, log in to your account and select “Change” or “Cancel” on the dashboard. Then select “Place Commuter Order” to order a new pass or “Modify Existing Order” to modify your existing order.
  • If you don’t take public transit to work yourself, you can enroll in the Commuter Benefits program and purchase a transit pass with pre-tax dollars for a family member. Just register for a WageWorks account and click the “Place Your Order” button. 

    Certain passes do not allow you to elect a quantity of more than one, such as some annual passes or transit agency smart cards. You can view the available options once you’re logged in to your account.

Claims Filing Deadline

If you elect a Pay Me Back Parking election, you will have up to 180 days from the last day of the benefit month to submit your request for reimbursement.  After 180 days, unused funds will be applied as a credit that will be used to offset future payroll deductions.